West Ham hammer Leicester, Gunners outgun Blades

Two goals in three second-half minutes proved to be enough for Arsenal as they edged to a 2-1 victory over Sheffield United at the Emirates.

After being left largely frustrated for the opening hour, Bukayo Sako headed in at the back post before substitute Nicolas Pepe scored a brilliant individual in the 64th minute.

Sheffield United gave themselves hope of a comeback as David McGoldrick brilliantly bent home from 20 yards to score the visitors’ first league goal of the season with six minutes remaining.

But there was to be no comeback for the Blades, however, as Arsenal saw out the remainder of the game to pick up their third Premier League win from their opening four fixtures and leave the visitors without a point.


Wolves responded to their 4-0 thrashing by West Ham to secure a hard-fought 1-0 win over struggling Fulham, who have now lost all four of their matches since gaining promotion from the Sky Bet Championship.

A poor first half saw Pedro Neto go closest, with Fulham keeper Alphonse Areola saving his powerful shot, but he went one better after the break.

With the hour mark approaching, the Wolves forward seized on a loose ball just outside the box and drilled into the bottom corner.

Fulham pressed for an equaliser and dominated possession in the latter stages but Wolves held firm.

Michail Antonio continued his hot streak away from home as West Ham, who had Alan Irvine in the dugout once again while manager David Moyes self-isolates, brushed aside a lacklustre Leicester 3-0.

Antonio opened the scoring early on to become the first Hammers player to score in five consecutive top-flight away matches since Mike Small in 1991, and set them on their way to securing back-to-back Premier League wins.

Pablo Fornals doubled the lead before half-time and Jarrod Bowen added some well-deserved shine to the scoreline late on.

Leicester were looking to win their opening four league games for the first time in their history but Brendan Rodgers’ side were never allowed to get going just a week on from their crushing 5-2 victory at Manchester City.

Harvey Barnes was denied in injury time by a VAR offside call, but it would have been nothing more than an undeserved consolation goal.

Southampton secured their second Premier League win of the season with a hard-fought 2-0 victory over West Brom at St Mary’s.

West Brom goalkeeper Sam Johnstone had made three diving saves before Moussa Djenepo put Southampton ahead on the brink of half-time in difficult conditions.

Oriol Romeu then volleyed the ball into the back of the net in the second half to double the home side’s advantage and seal all three points for Saints.

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl had said before the game he wanted his side to concentrate and be clinical for the full 90 minutes and they delivered, despite Johnstone’s efforts between the posts.

West Brom had put their first point on the board since promotion last weekend after a 3-3 draw against Chelsea – a match in which they led 3-0 at half-time – but they struggled to create chances and challenge home keeper Alex McCarthy

Post a Comment